New Patients

Registering as a New Patient

New patients wishing to register with the practice must live in our catchment area (found below) and complete the registration using our online registration form (linked above) or the GMS1 registration form.

Physical copies of the GMS1 registration form and our Practice registration form are also available from the practice itself, please ask a member of staff to provide you with both forms.

To assist us in locating your previous medical record it would be useful if you have your NHS number.

We will need to see a recent (last 3 months) utility bill, bank statement or similar. The name on the documents must be the registrants name unless you can provide a marriage certificate or deed of change of name.

These documents are not a mandatory requirement and you will not be refused registration if you cannot produce them.

When you have completed and returned the form, NHS England will transfer your medical records to your new practice and write to you to confirm your registration as a patient with that practice.

If you’re registering a child under 5, you will have the option of registering them for the Child Health Promotion Programme.

This means your child will be invited for regular health and development checks. Ask the practice for more details.

Our Practice Catchment Area

Catchment Area

Temporary Registration

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days.

After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

If you need emergency medication because you have run out while away, for example, you will need to provide evidence that this medication has been prescribed for you.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months.

This will allow you to be on the local practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP.

After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use; Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment.

You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.

GMS3 Temporary Registration Form.

What information do I need?

Try to have the following information with you when you see your temporary GP for the first time:

  • details of any medical conditions you have
  • details of medical conditions you’ve had in the past
  • the name of any medicines you’re currently taking
  • details of anything you’re allergic to
  • contact details for your permanent or previous GP
  • your NHS number

New Patient Registration Queries

How To Register With A GP Practice

You have the legal right to choose a GP practice that best suits your needs.

Try comparing GP practices according to facilities, services, access and performance before you decide.

Ask friends, relatives and others you trust for their thoughts and recommendations.

The GP practice must accept you, unless there are reasonable grounds to refuse you.

These must not relate to race, gender, social class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, disability or a medical condition.

It must also give you reasons for its decision in writing.

A GP practice may refuse to register you because:

  • it has no capacity to take on new patients
  • it may not be accepting patients that do not live within its practice boundary
  • in your particular circumstances, it may not be appropriate for you to register with a practice that is a long way from where you live

Since January 2015, all GP practices in England have been free to register new patients who live outside their practice boundary area.

However it is for a practice to decide at the point of registration whether it is clinically appropriate and practical to register individual patients in that way.

Find out more about patient choice of GP practices

You can read more about your legal rights to choice in the NHS on the GOV.UK website.

If you have problems registering with a nearby GP practice, contact NHS England’s Customer Contact Centre.

Information For Those Moving To Or Visiting England

Information for those moving to or visiting England

You do not need to be ordinarily resident in England to access GP services without charge.

But charges may arise if you need non emergency care, a hospital referral or other specialist treatment.

If you recently moved to England or you’re just visiting, look up the particular guidance about access to NHS healthcare.

How to register as a temporary resident

If you fall ill while away from home, or you are not registered with a GP but need to see one, you can still contact your nearest practice to ask for treatment.

You can receive emergency treatment for 14 days.

After that you will have to register as a temporary resident or permanent patient.

Registration as a temporary resident allows you to be taken on to the practice’s list for up to 3 months.

If you’re registered with a practice but are away from your home area, you can register temporarily with a practice near where you’re currently staying and still remain a patient of your registered practice.

Try to have the following information available when you attend your appointment for the first time:

  • details of your ongoing medical problems
  • details of medical problems you have suffered in the past
  • details of any medicines you’re currently taking
  • details of any allergies
  • contact details of your registered or previous practice

If you have no proof of address or identification

The practice will not refuse patient registration because they do not have a proof of address or personal identification at hand.

However in order for the practice to provide safe and effective care and to avoid discrepancies in patients details on the NHS Summary Care Record (SCR), the practice may ask for proof of ID, and address from all its patients.

This may be used to check your details match with the information held on the NHS central patient registry, and that your previous medical notes are passed on to the new practice.

This also applies if you are an asylum seeker, refugee, homeless patient or overseas visitor, whether lawfully in the UK or not.

If you fall under one of the above mentioned patient groups, download one of the “How to register with a GP” patient leaflets below and bring it with you when you register with a GP practice.

If you have problems registering with the practice, there is advice on what do to and where to go for further support.

Can I Change GP Practice?

You have the right to change practices if you wish to.

Many people switch practices because they:

  • have moved into a new area
  • have moved outside the catchment area of their current practice
  • experienced problems in their relationship with the current practice
  • were removed from the patient list

Find out what to do if a GP practice has removed you from its patient list

You can change practices without having to give a reason, though we strongly advise you to tell the practice you are leaving.

This is to avoid any problems with the care you receive, as a result of the change in your circumstances and our inability to contact you.

You can then approach another practice and apply to join its list of patients.

Being registered at another local practice is not a reason to be refused registration with another GP.

Registration For Certain Groups

Registration under the Mental Capacity Act (MCA)

The Mental Capacity Act (MCA) is designed to protect and empower individuals who may lack the mental capacity to make their own decisions about their care and treatment.

It is a law that applies to individuals aged 16 and over.

The MCA also allows people to express their preferences for care and treatment in case they lack capacity to make these decisions.

It also allows them to appoint a trusted person to make a decision on their behalf should they lack capacity in the future.

If a person lacks the capacity to register with a GP themselves, this can be done on the patient’s behalf through:

  • a relative
  • the main carer
  • a lasting power of attorney
  • a person appointed by a court under the Mental Capacity Act

Once registered with a GP practice, the GP becomes the decision maker and will make a continuous assessment of someone’s capacity through the Mental Capacity Act.

Patients should also be provided with an independent advocate who will support them to make decisions in certain situations, such as serious treatment or where the individual might have significant restrictions placed on their freedom and rights in their best interests.

How to register as a homeless patient

If you’re homeless, you’re still entitled to register with a GP using a temporary address, which may be a friend’s address or a day centre.

Some GP practices have used their own address in the past to register a homeless patient.

How to register as a former armed forces member

The Defence Medical Services (DMS) has its own GP services that look after serving personnel, mobilised reservists and some families.

Once you leave the armed forces, your primary healthcare (GP, dentist, etc) reverts to the responsibility of your local NHS.

This means you will have to register with a local GP in your area.

Make sure you let the GP practice know that you are a veteran.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to specialist care or support.

All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition as long as it’s related to your service and is clinically necessary, regardless of whether or not you receive a war pension.

When you leave the armed forces, you should be given a summary of your medical records.

You should pass those on to your new GP when you register.

The practice will also be advised of prior registration with Defence Medical Services, and be given a summary of your in-service care.

More information on the duty of care owed to service personnel is contained in the armed forces covenant (PDF, 919kb).

Find out more about healthcare for the armed forces community